Moving to New Zealand from Australia

Whether you're a native-born Aussie, came to Australia from somewhere else, or a Kiwi who has been spending extended time in Australia, this page will help you understand what's different about life in New Zealand and whether a move across the Tasman is right for you.

Visa options for you and your family

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia you don't need to apply for a visa to live and work in New Zealand. You can be granted a visa on arrival at the border. Find out more about the Australian Resident Visa.

If you're in Australia on a temporary visa then you'll likely need a visa to enter New Zealand. Our visa system is very similar to Australia's; if you're offered a skilled job by a New Zealand employer then they may be able to sponsor your temporary work visa application. There are also permanent resident options that allow you to stay indefinitely.

If you are a partner of a New Zealand or Australian citizen or resident, you'll likely be able to apply for a partner visa based on your relationship.

For more information visit our Visas & Citizenship section.

Living in New Zealand

We speak the same language and share a lot culturally with Australia. You’ll feel very much at home.

The pace of life here is laid back, and we’re fortunate to live in what many people say is the cleanest and most beautiful country in the world. 

It’s easy to do things outdoors and you’ll have time for your own interests. Even in the biggest cities you’re only minutes from a beach, native park or mountain biking trail. It’s also a great place for children, with so many healthy recreational activities and a world-class education system that is largely free.

Australian moves to NZ
Jumping the Tasman: career & lifestyle (02:13)

Cost of living

Overall, it’ll probably cost slightly less to live in New Zealand than it does in Australia.

Depending where you come from, the cost of living is likely to be cheaper. For example, Sydney is the world’s 29th most expensive city to live in, according to the Mercer's 2017 Cost of Living survey,

By comparison, Auckland was rather further down the rankings at 81st and Wellington even less expensive at 101st.

Other Australian cities also featured on Mercer's list; Melbourne came in at 58th, Perth 61st, and Brisbane 84th.  

Cost of living in New Zealand

Family sitting outside in New Zealand discussing


Government payments

If you are eligible for the Australian aged-pension, you can claim this in New Zealand as part of the Social Security Agreement between the two countries. The agreement also allows you to add together your periods of Working Age residence in Australia and New Zealand, so you can meet the minimum requirements for the payment.

Alternatively, you may be able to apply directly for the New Zealand scheme (known as New Zealand Super).

Receiving a benefit or pension in New Zealand | WINZ

Pension saving schemes

New Zealand has an innovative and very popular employer and government-subsidised scheme that helps people in work save long term for retirement.

It’s called KiwiSaver and it’s designed to make it easy for people maintain regular savings.

A KiwiSaver account grows from a combination of sources; deductions from your pay or salary at a level you choose: a matching contribution from your employer; and an annual top-up from the government.

If you’re an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or permanent resident and you normally live in New Zealand, you’ll be eligible for KiwiSaver. When you start a new job, if you're not already a member and are eligible, your employer will enrol you automatically in KiwiSaver. 

If you have an Australian retirement savings scheme, it may be possible to transfer your savings to a KiwiSaver scheme. However, not all schemes offer this option, so you should check with the provider.

KiwiSaver in a nut shell |

Transferring your Australian scheme to New Zealand | Inland Revenue


If you're a returning New Zealander, you should be eligible for publicly funded healthcare if you register with the local Primary Health Organisation (PHO). 

For Australians, there are two different eligibility classes.

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you are eligible for the full range of publicly funded health care, provided you can demonstrate an intention to stay in New Zealand for at least two years continually. New Zealand doesn’t have a national Medicare system like Australia. Instead, once you are living in New Zealand, you should register with the PHO to receive subsidised healthcare.

If you're an Australian resident and don't intend to stay for two years, you're only eligible for immediately necessary hospital and maternity services and pharmaceuticals. You’ll need to pay the full cost of primary health care consultations (e.g. with a local doctor or nurse), often called the ‘casual’ rate. This is what New Zealanders pay if they choose not to enrol.

New Zealand's health system | Ministry of Health

Australian access to public health services

Enrolling with a PHO | Ministry of Health

Healthcare in New Zealand

New Zealand has both publicly funded and privately funded healthcare

The differences aren't as subtle as people think... the culture is quite different, there is less hierarchy and people tend to get on with things more quickly.


Most of the costs of injuries from accidents are covered by New Zealand’s unique personal accident compensation scheme which is run by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).

ACC provides no-fault insurance cover to everyone in New Zealand for injuries resulting from accidents - everything from car crashes to injuries at work, slips, trips and falls at home or breaking your arm skiing, even if the person who is injured caused the accident.

ACC helps cover medical and treatment fees and rehabilitation costs such as physiotherapy or residential care, although there are part-charges for some treatments. They will also make a payment to families in the case of accidental death, even if the family live outside of New Zealand.

You pay for your ACC cover through a levy on your income and also charges for running your motorcar.

Under New Zealand’s ACC system, you don’t have the right to sue anyone for injuries from an accident.

ACC’s website has more information about what is and isn’t covered, and what happens if you injure yourself.

About ACC


Australian and New Zealand citizens and permanent residents are classified as domestic students in New Zealand so only pay local fees, including tertiary education. The vast majority of our top quality primary and secondary schools are free (although parents are expected to meet some minor costs).

New Zealand citizens are eligible to apply for Student Loans or the Student Allowance when they begin studying. However, New Zealand residents and Australian citizens and permanent residents need to have lived in New Zealand for at least three years before they are eligible.

Learn more in our Education & Schooling section.

Parents with children in New Zealand

NZ is ranked #1 for raising children abroad (Australia is #19)

HSBC Expat Explorer Survey 2014

Housing ownership

An Australian who is a resident in New Zealand may rent or purchase land and property under the same conditions as New Zealanders. No restrictions apply to land value or size.

An Australian who is not actually residing in New Zealand may be classed as an “overseas person" and must obtain consent under New Zealand’s Overseas Investment Regulations to acquire or take control of significant assets in New Zealand. 

Income tax 

New Zealand and Australian citizens and permanent residents visiting and living in New Zealand are liable for New Zealand income tax on all income derived from New Zealand.

New Zealand tax rates and codes | Inland Revenue

Getting a tax number

If you have previously lived in New Zealand you may already have an IRD number and should use this number when you return. If you don't know your IRD number, you can find it using the IRD website.

If you've never had an IRD number, you should apply for one through Inland Revenue Department (IRD) when you arrive in New Zealand, particularly if you will be working here. You can find the form on the IRD website. 

If you do not have an IRD number, tax will be deducted at a no-declaration rate, which is higher than the normal deduction rate.

How to find your IRD number | Inland Revenue

Getting an IRD number | Inland Revenue 

Families from australia in new zealand having a picnic

Working for families

If your children are New Zealand or Australian citizens or permanent residents, you may be eligible for Working for Families Tax Credits when you arrive in New Zealand.

Working for Families Tax Credits are an entitlement for families with dependent children aged 18 or younger. It includes four different types of payments (tax credits).

The types of payment and the amounts you can get depend on:

  • how many dependent children you care for
  • your total family income
  • where your family income comes from
  • the age of the children in your care, and
  • any children you share care for.

Finding out if you are eligible | Inland Revenue

The Department of Work and Income also provides some subsidies to families for early childhood education and before/after school and holiday programmes.

Help with childcare costs | Work & Income NZ


Legally, in New Zealand you must be enrolled on the electoral roll.  You must enrol if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life
  • are a New Zealand citizen who has been in NZ within the past 3 years, or 
  • living permanently New Zealand and have been in NZ within the past 12 months.

Only those who are enrolled can vote, take part in a referendum, or sign a referendum petition.

Enrolling for the first time | Elections

Citizenship options

To be granted New Zealand citizenship you need to have a minimum of five years’ residence. You must also meet character and English language criteria along with various other requirements. For details, visit the Department of Internal Affairs website.

About Citizenship in New Zealand | DIA

Want to know more?

Take the first step to a new life by registering your interest with Immigration New Zealand. We’ll send you personalised emails about upcoming events, job opportunities in your profession, life in New Zealand and choosing the right visa.

It’s free and there’s no obligation.

Interested in coming to New Zealand?

Sign up to receive relevant job opportunities from New Zealand employers and practical advice on how to make your move to New Zealand a reality.


Is there anything wrong with this page?

Page last updated: 22/06/2020

Help us improve New Zealand Now

Your feedback is very important in helping us improve the New Zealand Now website. Please don’t include any personal or financial information.