Please note: New Zealand Now content reflects pre-COVID-19 conditions and outlook. For COVID-19 related updates to visa and border requirements, click here.

Help in your language

When you first arrive in New Zealand you may need help in your preferred language or help with using English in important documents and conversations.

Help in your preferred language


You will need to learn English to live here. You may need help or information in your preferred language until you are more familiar with English.

InfoNOW... in your language your language is a free service for new migrants that makes it easier to find information that helps them settle and work in New Zealand. 

The service is available in 17 languages, including Arabic, Cambodian, Cantonese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Punjabi, Samoan, Spanish and Taiwanese.

The service is provided nationwide by the Hamilton Multicultural Services Trust.

You can access InfoNOW via email on, or phone and online chat between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Check the link below for more information and free call numbers.

InfoNOW | Hamilton Multicultural Services Trust

Interpreting (spoken word)

You may need help with having conversations in English.


Ezispeak is a free phone-based interpreting service used by many government agencies and some doctors and city councils. It is available in many different languages, 24 hours, seven days a week. 

To get an interpreter, visit or phone the agency you want. 

  • Ask for Ezispeak and the language you want.
  • You will be asked to wait (please do not hang up the phone).
  • A professional interpreter will join you on the phone to help you talk to the agency.

Interpreting New Zealand

Interpreting New Zealand can help you find an interpreter.

Fact sheets about using an interpreter are available on the Interpreting New Zealand website. Information is available in Amharic, Arabic, Assyrian, Burmese, English, Farsi, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Nepali, Samoan, Simplified Chinese, Somali and Spanish.

Resources | Interpreting NZ


Decypher provides interpreting and translating services in Waikato and surrounding regions to help organisations in communicating with migrants. They provide services in over 50 languages.


Translation services (written word)

You may need important documents translated into English.

Search for a translator or interpreter on the New Zealand Society of Translators and Interpreters website.


Driver licence

If your overseas driver licence or permit is not in English, you will need an accurate English translation. The NZ Transport Authority (NZTA) website has a list of authorised translation services and other acceptable options.

Finding an approved translator | NZTA

Qualifications documents

If the documents supporting the qualifications you have gained outside New Zealand are not in English, you will need to provide a translation of them. The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) has details and a list of translation services you can use.

Documents required for an IQA | NZQA

Citizenship applications

Documents needed for citizenship applications that are not in English must be translated. The Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) Translation service can do this for you.

Translating your documents | DIA

Interested in coming to New Zealand?

Sign up to receive relevant job opportunities from New Zealand employers and practical advice on how to make your move to New Zealand a reality.