Southland Information & advice

A wide range of information and support services operate in Southland, many of them based in the region's only city of Invercargill.

Looking for general information?

Immigration New Zealand - Information for new migrants

Immigration New Zealand offers a free information service for all new migrants available throughout the country.

If you have questions about life in New Zealand, you can call the Immigration New Zealand Contact Centre on

Freephone: 0800 776 948 (NZ fixed landline only)
From overseas or a mobile phone: +64 9 969 0591


Migrant Connect information service

For newcomers to New Zealand, selected Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB) provide a walk-in information service. You probably have lots of questions about how things work here. CAB can help or provide you with information on where to find the answers.

As well as helping with your settlement queries, CAB run information sessions for new migrants on relevant settlement topics.

CAB Invercargill
36 Don Street Invercargill 9810
Hours and phone numbers are on the website.

Newcomers Network

Many areas offer a service called the ‘Newcomers Network’. Each network works slightly differently, but they’re all great ways to meet new people, find out about local events and get connected with your local community. If there’s not one in your area, the national body will give you all the help and support you need to start one.

Southland | Newcomers Network

Southland Filipino Society

The Southland Filipino Society co-ordinates activities for the Filipino community in Southland. Their aim is to support Filipinos in Invercargill and the surrounding area. The centre is at 122 Esk St, Invercargill ph 03 214 3454 Check out their Facebook page to stay up to date with news and events.

Southland Filipino Society | Facebook

Southland Multicultural Council

The Southland Multicultural Council supports and celebrates all ethnic minorities in the region and works to bring understanding and harmony for all cultures.

Southland Multicultural Council

Cultural groups

Southland has a number of groups representing a wide range of ethnic groups in the area. Check them out on the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) site.

Southland Multicultural groups | CAB

Local Libraries

Local libraries, run by district councils, are always a good place to go to find information about activities in your local community. And of course they have hundreds of books, eBooks, CDs and DVDs you can borrow. There is commonly also free internet access at most libraries and some have wireless internet.

For the location of your local library, check the website of your district council or visit this site.

Invercargill libraries

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Cities and most towns across New Zealand have a local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). It’s a place where you’ll find someone who can provide information, advice and support on just about any problem you may have. They can also help in 15 different languages through CAB Language Connect.

Southland | Citizens Advice Bureau

Language Connect | Citizens Advice Bureau

Visitor Information

Wondering what to do in Southland - what attractions to see, adventures to try, routes to take? The Tourism New Zealand site has all the information you need, plus help with travelling further afield in New Zealand including finding transport and accommodation.

Southland visitor information | Tourism New Zealand

Community Law Centres

If you need legal assistance, you can start with your local Community Law Centre. They have lawyers and advocates who can give you initial legal help so you can deal with the issue quickly, which may be free depending on your ability to pay. They may also be able to represent you in courts or tribunals.

Find a centre | Community Law Centre

Immigration advice

If you need help with an immigration matter, you should talk either to a lawyer experienced in the field or to a licensed immigration adviser. Find an adviser using the online register operated by the Immigration Advisers Authority.

Find an adviser | Immigration Advisers Authority

Find an immigration lawyer | New Zealand Law Society

Budget and financial services

If you’re facing financial difficulties, you may need assistance with creating a personalised budget or advice from a financial advisor. They can give you tools, knowledge and advice to help you manage your money better. You may also find answers to your money questions on the Sorted website.

There is a range of budgeting help found in the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) directory.

The New Zealand Federation of Budgeting Services maintains a list of its professional members and their contact details.


Budget services Southland | CAB

Find a Budgeting service | NZ Federation of Budgeting Services

Parents centres

Parents Centres offer support in all areas of parenting, from helping parents develop practical skills in baby and toddler care to preparing for the school years and crisis help. 

Locations | Parents Centre New Zealand

Toy Library Federation of New Zealand

Toy Libraries offer a range of quality toys, puzzles, games and learning activities for members to hire for a set period of time. Caters for 0 - 8 years.

Southland Toy Libraries | Toy Library Federation of New Zealand

Justice of the Peace

Justice of the Peace (JPs) can be found in most areas of Southland and can assist with the witnessing of documents such as applications for citizenship, certifying copies, and taking declarations, affidavits and affirmations.

Find a JP | Royal Federation of NZ Justices' Association

Interested in coming to New Zealand?

Sign up to receive relevant job opportunities from New Zealand employers and practical advice on how to make your move to New Zealand a reality.


Is there anything wrong with this page?

Page last updated: 06/09/2018

Help us improve New Zealand Now

Your feedback is very important in helping us improve the New Zealand Now website. Please don’t include any personal or financial information.