Moving to New Zealand from Australia

Whether you're an Aussie, Kiwi or were born somewhere else, this page will help you understand what's different about life in New Zealand and if a move across the Tasman is right for you.

Living in New Zealand

We speak the same language and share a lot culturally with Australia, which will help make you feel at home. The pace of life here is laid back, and we’re fortunate to live in what many people say is the cleanest and most beautiful country in the world. 

It’s easy to do things outdoors and you’ll have time for your own interests - even in the biggest cities you’re only minutes from a beach, native park or mountain biking trail.  It’s also a great place for children, with so many recreational activities and a world-class education system that is largely free.

Cost of living

Overall, it’ll probably cost slightly less to live in New Zealand than it does in Australia.

Depending where you come from, it could be rather cheaper. For example, Sydney is the world’s 26th most expensive city to live in according to the Mercer's recent Cost of Living survey, while Auckland is the 58th and Wellington just the 75th. Other Australian cities also feature high on Mercer's list; Melbourne comes in 33rd, Perth 37th, Brisbane 52nd, Canberra 53rd, and Adelaide 59th.

Cost of living in New Zealand

Australian moves to NZ
Jumping the Tasman: career & lifestyle (02:13)


Government payments

If you are eligible for the Australian aged-pension, you can claim this in New Zealand as part of the Social Security Agreement between the two countries. The agreement also allows you to add together your periods of Working Age residence in Australia and New Zealand, so you can meet the minimum requirements for the payment.

Alternatively, you may be able to apply directly for the New Zealand scheme (known as New Zealand Super).

Receiving a benefit or pension in New Zealand | WINZ

Employee saving schemes

KiwiSaver, introduced in 2007, is a voluntary, work-based savings initiative to help with long-term saving for retirement. It's designed to be hassle-free so it's easy to maintain a regular savings pattern. Contributions paid to your KiwiSaver are made up of Government, employer and your own contributions. 

If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident and you normally live in New Zealand, you will be eligible for KiwiSaver. When you start a new job, if you're not already a member and are eligible, your employer will automatically enrol you in KiwiSaver. 

It is possible to transfer savings from an approved Australian retirement savings scheme to some KiwiSaver schemes in New Zealand. This varies between schemes, so it is best to check with the provider before you sign up.

KiwiSaver in a nut shell |

Transferring your Australian scheme to New Zealand | Inland Revenue

Want to know more?

Take the first step to a new life by registering your interest with Immigration New Zealand. We’ll send you personalised emails about upcoming events, job opportunities in your profession, life in New Zealand and choosing the right visa.

It’s free and there’s no obligation.


If you're a returning New Zealander, you should be eligible for publicly funded healthcare if you register with the local Primary Health Organisation (PHO). 

For Australians, there are two different eligibility classes.

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you are eligible for the full range of publicly funded health care, provided you can demonstrate an intention to stay in New Zealand for at least two years continually. New Zealand doesn’t have a national Medicare system like Australia. Instead, once you are living in New Zealand, you should register with the PHO to receive subsidised healthcare.

If you're an Australian resident and don't intend to stay for two years, you're only eligible for immediately necessary hospital and maternity services and pharmaceuticals. You’ll need to pay the full cost of primary health care consultations (e.g. with a local doctor or nurse), often called the ‘casual’ rate. This is what New Zealanders pay if they choose not to enrol.

New Zealand's health system | Ministry of Health

Australian access to public health services

Enrolling with a PHO | Ministry of Health

The differences aren't as subtle as people think... the cultures quite different, there is less hierarchy and people tend to get on with things more quickly.


Most of the costs of injuries from accidents are covered by New Zealand’s unique personal accident compensation scheme which is run by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).

ACC provides no-fault insurance cover to everyone in New Zealand for injuries resulting from accidents - everything from car crashes to injuries at work, slips, trips and falls at home or breaking your arm skiing, even if the person who is injured caused the accident.

ACC helps cover medical and treatment fees and rehabilitation costs such as physiotherapy or residential care, although there are part-charges for some treatments. They will also make a payment to families in the case of accidental death, even if the family live outside of New Zealand.

You pay for your ACC cover through a levy on your income and also charges for running your motorcar.

Under New Zealand’s ACC system, you don’t have the right to sue anyone for injuries from an accident.

ACC’s website has more information about what is and isn’t covered, and what happens if you injure yourself.

About ACC


Australian and New Zealand citizens and permanent residents are classified as domestic students in New Zealand so only pay local fees, including tertiary education. The vast majority of our top quality primary and secondary schools are free (although parents are expected to meet some minor costs).

New Zealand citizens are eligible to apply for Student Loans or the Student Allowance when they begin studying. However, New Zealand residents and Australian citizens and permanent residents need to have lived in New Zealand for at least three years before they are eligible.

Learn more in our Education & Schooling section.

NZ is ranked #1 for raising children abroad (Australia is #19)

HSBC Expat Explorer Survey 2014

Housing ownership

An Australian who is a resident in New Zealand may rent or purchase land and property under the same conditions as New Zealanders. No restrictions apply to land value or size.

An Australian who is not actually residing in New Zealand may be classed as an “overseas person" and must obtain consent under New Zealand’s Overseas Investment Regulations to acquire or take control of significant assets in New Zealand. 

Income tax 

New Zealand and Australian citizens and permanent residents visiting and living in New Zealand are liable for New Zealand income tax on all income derived from New Zealand.

New Zealand tax rates and codes | Inland Revenue

Getting a tax number

If you have previously lived in New Zealand you may already have an IRD number and should use this number when you return. If you don't know your IRD number, you can find it using the IRD website.

If you've never had an IRD number, you should apply for one through Inland Revenue Department (IRD) when you arrive in New Zealand, particularly if you will be working here. You can find the form on the IRD website. 

If you do not have an IRD number, tax will be deducted at a no-declaration rate, which is higher than the normal deduction rate.

How to find your IRD number | Inland Revenue

Getting an IRD number | Inland Revenue 

Working for families

If your children are New Zealand or Australian citizens or permanent residents, you may be eligible for Working for Families Tax Credits when you arrive in New Zealand.

Working for Families Tax Credits are an entitlement for families with dependent children aged 18 or younger. It includes four different types of payments (tax credits).

The types of payment and the amounts you can get depend on:

  • how many dependent children you care for
  • your total family income
  • where your family income comes from
  • the age of the children in your care, and
  • any children you share care for.

Finding out if you are eligible | Inland Revenue

The Department of Work and Income also provides some subsidies to families for early childhood education and before/after school and holiday programmes.

Help with childcare costs | Work & Income NZ


Legally, in New Zealand you must be enrolled on the electoral roll.  You must enrol if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life
  • are a New Zealand citizen or living permanently New Zealand.

Only those who are enrolled can vote, take part in a referendum, or sign a referendum petition.

Enrolling for the first time | Elections

Visa options for you and your family

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia you don't need a visa to live and work in New Zealand.

If you're in Australia on a temporary visa then you'll likely need a visa to enter New Zealand. Our visa system is very similar is Australia's; if you're offered a skilled job by a New Zealand employer then they may be able to sponsor your temporary work visa application. There are also permanent resident options that allow you to stay indefinitely.

If you are a partner of a New Zealand or Australian citizen or resident, you'll likely be able to apply for a partner visa based on your relationship.

For more information visit our Visas & Citizenship section.

Citizenship options

A minimum of five years residence in New Zealand is required and certain criteria must be met, including satisfactory character and language references, to become a New Zealand citizen by grant.

About Citizenship in New Zealand | DIA


Is there anything wrong with this page?

Page last updated: 13/02/2015

Help us improve New Zealand Now

Your feedback is very important in helping us improve the New Zealand Now website. Please don’t include any personal or financial information.