Please note: New Zealand Now content reflects pre-COVID-19 conditions and outlook. For COVID-19 related updates to visa and border requirements, click here.

Visas for partners & children

New Zealand offers a range of visa options for partners and children.


If you are applying for a New Zealand visa based on your relationship, you and your partner will need to meet certain criteria:

  • Your partnership needs to be genuine and stable.
  • You must be living with your partner.
  • You must meet health and character requirements.
  • You must have the support of your partner.
  • Your partner must be eligible to support your application.

Check the specific requirements for your situation as they vary for temporary and resident visas.

Australian citizens or permanent residents

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you also may be able to sponsor a partner's visa. However, you will need to prove that New Zealand is your primary place of residence before you can support the application.

You should also consider all visa options for coming to New Zealand, as some are eligible for more services than others.

Definition and criteria for partnership | Immigration New Zealand

Compare visa types and public services eligibility

Person and partner talking about living in New Zealand

Our wide open spaces mean you have the choice of every style of living you and your family want.

Temporary visas

You can apply for a temporary work or visitor visa to be with your partner in New Zealand if you both meet the criteria.

If your application is dependent on your partner’s temporary visa, your visa will only be valid for the same time period as theirs.

If your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident you can apply for a work or visitor visa of between 12- 24 months duration, depending on the length of the relationship.

Visa options for partners | Immigration New Zealand

Resident visas

You can be included as a secondary applicant in your partner’s application. There may be an English language requirement for these applications.

You can also apply for a resident visa if you are in a relationship with a New Zealand citizen or resident, under the Family Partnership category.

Interested in coming to New Zealand?

Take the first step to a new life by registering your interest with Immigration New Zealand. We’ll send you personalised emails about job opportunities in your profession, life in New Zealand and choosing the right visa.

It’s free and there’s no obligation.


If you have dependent children, you can apply to have them join you in New Zealand. The Immigration New Zealand website defines when a child is considered dependent.

When are children considered 'dependent'? | Immigration New Zealand

Temporary visa

You can also have your dependent children apply for student or visitor visas to be with you in New Zealand.

School-aged dependent children need a student visa to be able to attend primary, intermediate or secondary schools. Children younger than school age can apply for a visitor visa. A student visa is not needed and will not be granted to attend pre-school in New Zealand. 

Student visa requirements for dependent children | Immigration New Zealand

Visitor visa requirements for dependent children | Immigration New Zealand

Resident visa

Your dependent children can be included as secondary applicants in your residence application.

If you are already a New Zealand citizen or resident, your children can apply under the dependent child category. If they are over 16, they may need to meet English language requirements.

Requirements for dependent child category | Immigration New Zealand

English language requirements | Immigration New Zealand

Interested in coming to New Zealand?

Sign up to receive relevant job opportunities from New Zealand employers and practical advice on how to make your move to New Zealand a reality.