New Zealand Immigration Logo.

Getting immigration advice



New Zealand Visa Application

If you wish to apply for a New Zealand visa there are three main ways to do this:

1. Complete the application form yourself

You can choose the visa you need using the Visa Options Check and complete the application form yourself with the information provided by Immigration New Zealand.

Each visa type has an application form and accompanying guide. We recommend you read the guide before attempting to complete the application form.

Don’t worry if you get stuck along the way; you can contact Immigration New Zealand for help.

2. Engage a licensed immigration adviser

You can engage a licensed immigration adviser to assist you with your visa application but they must have a current licence.

A person who provides New Zealand immigration advice without being licensed or exempt commits an offence.

Before engaging an adviser, we recommend you:

Should you have any difficulty finding a licensed immigration adviser or complaining about one, you can contact the Immigration Advisers Authority directly. The Authority is responsible for licensing immigration advisers, receiving complaints and taking action against those giving immigration advice without a licence.

3. Engage someone who is exempt from the license requirements

You can also seek immigration advice from people who are exempt from the requirement to hold a licence.

Outside New Zealand this includes:

  • Education agents who are only permitted to give immigration advice on student visas
  • Lawyers with a current New Zealand practising certificate
  • Foreign diplomats and consular staff
  • Employees of the New Zealand Government who provide immigration advice as part of their job.

In New Zealand this includes:

  • Lawyers with a current New Zealand practising certificate
  • Members of Parliament and their staff who provide immigration advice as part of their jobs
  • Government employees who give immigration advice as part of their jobs
  • Volunteers at Community Law Centres or Citizens Advice Bureaux.

The Law Society website can help you find a lawyer or legal firm or check that your existing lawyer has a current New Zealand practising certificate.





Want to know more? Register and we’ll email you New Zealand visa info, jobs and more.